Proposed Community Pain Management Services by NHS Liverpool CCG Engagement Overview by VON

We carried out a community engagement exercise that involved 3 core activities,  in order to empower and get the views of current, past and potential future users of the pain management services/ and proposed community pain management services offered by NHS in the Month of March.

All Engagement activities lasted 3 weeks and involved a total of 35 adults, of which 13 were males and 22 were females. All the Males were from The BME Community of African origin, while 10 of the 22 females were White British and the remaining 12 were from The BME community of African origin. The age ranged varied, with the majority of participants aged 26-44 (22) and 45-64 (12) with one female aged 65-75.

All participants were heterosexual and belonged to one faith group or the other, with the majority being Christians (80%).

10 of the 35 participants acknowledged to be currently suffering from chronic pain, while the remaining 65% do not currently experience chronic, but know at least 1 person who currently does. Almost all participants welcomed the idea of an introduction of a community pain management service, and believed it will improve patient’s experience of pain services, except for one participant who thought this is not the case, while 4 were unsure about this.

Of the participants who currently suffer from chronic pain, 70% have some problems with walking about, while 1% was confined to bed on most days as a result of the pain. 60% of patients had no problem looking after themselves, while 40% encountered problems washing and dressing themselves. On the other hand, 80% of patients have problems with performing their usual activity, and 70% were sometimes anxious or depressed as a result of their pain.

60% of patients have either used the NHS Pain services at The Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen Hospital in the past or continue to us them. Of all participants, including those who so not currently suffer from chronic pain, while 60% said they have never used any of the NHS reviewed services, and felt they could not comment on its effectiveness, while the remaining 40% said they are using/have previously used other non NHS services to manage my pain (ranging from holistic therapies, positive thinking and prayer/ faith in God).

 

 Of the service users (70%), the majority said they felt they had the right person supporting them and the interventions received helped them managed their pain better. while the rest were unsure, with a single patient who felt the wrong person was involved in treating her.

Only 20% of past/ present service users felt they were involved in the development of their care plans (all of whom have attended a pain management programme) while 80% felt they were not involved at all (and this group had not been privileged to attend a pain management programme, nor were even aware one existed).